SolarWinds NPM Reviews
This post will review SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor (NPM), one of the primary network monitoring tools available in the market.
SolarWinds NPM includes various capabilities such as network discovery, availability monitoring (eg, node is up/down), health status (eg, CPU usage), performance monitoring (eg, interface bandwidth consumption), and so on.
NPM consists of a dashboard with a complete set of controls that allow you to modify your views of network data and filter events reported by the system, among other features. It is a very versatile technique used for networks of any size or complexity.
It is a very versatile technique that can be used for networks of any size or complexity.
Network Performance Manager is one of several infrastructure management systems produced by SolarWinds. These systems, including Network Performance Manager, are based on a common platform called Orion. If you buy all Orion-based software together, it will work together due to the multiple data interchange points and shared modules.
What are the Most Important Features to Look for in a Network Monitoring System?
Our team researched and analyzed the SolarWinds Network Performance Monitor software keeping in mind the following criteria:
- A simple interface that includes a drill-down path and graphs and charts is provided.
- A method of using the Simple Network Management Protocol to collect the state of a network device
- When a device agent detects a problem, an alert is sent out.
- Alerts when a resource shortage is on the horizon
- SMS and email notifications that send out alerts to allow for unattended monitoring are available.
- The availability of a risk-free trial for no-risk evaluation
- A robust solution that conducts thorough network monitoring is excellent value for money.
- When a device agent detects a problem, an alert is sent.
- Alert when the resource is scarce
- SMS and email notifications sending alerts are available to allow absentee monitoring.
- Availability of risk-free testing for a risk-free assessment
- A robust solution that performs thorough network monitoring is excellent value for money.
SolarWinds NPM, plus some features you might find useful.
Pros and Cons
- Network path services are a lifesaver when you are trying to convince ISPs and other stakeholders where traffic is congested or has stopped. For them, seeing is sometimes more reassuring than hearing.
- Alerts are great because they keep us from waiting for people to report a server down. Instead, we aware of the problem immediately.
- We especially appreciate the alerts that notify us when new versions of the software are available.
- The map editor is relatively simple to operate.
- A comprehensive dashboard that’s easy to customize
- Analysis of nodes that is both efficient and accurate
- For some of our systems, it would be convenient to configure SNMP3 more simply. However, it is not a show-stopper.
- When we contact support, they can direct us to the Knowledge Base or Thack. It’s not a big deal, but I submit a support ticket only after spending a lot of time trying to find a solution.
- After the upgrade, email notifications may become unresponsive.
- It can take time to set the alert threshold for your alerts and notifications.
- Including more information in notifications is not as easy as it should be.
- SolarWinds NPM requires two servers: one for the service and the other for the database to function properly.